I stumbled upon this fish pie recipe online a while back. I just love it! It is like a shepherd’s pie, but with fish. I searched around online and found out that fish pie is a traditional British dish. Although this recipe is not completely the same as the original one. This is absolutely delicious. Flakey fish with creamy mashed potatoes and sweet vegetables all in one dish. Hope you will like this.
Fish Pie (Adapted from The Little Teochew)
2 – 3 servings
- ¾ pound cod (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 4 medium red potatoes (peeled and halved)
- ½ yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (cut into pea-sized)
- ½ cup frozen peas (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ – ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus ½ tablespoon for fish
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- dash of paprika
- ground black pepper
- In a medium pot with cold water, put in the potatoes and make sure the water cover the potatoes completely. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil, simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 35 – 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Meanwhile, combine the cod with the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are ready, drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mashed the potatoes with a masher or big spoon until there is no lump. Stir in the milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dash of paprika. Mix well.
- In a medium pan over medium-low heat, warm up the olive oil and ½ tablespoon butter. Add the onions and carrots and cook until the onions are softened. Stir in the peas. Add the cod and cook through. While cooking the fish, break and flake 1/3 of them.
- Put the fish mixture to the mashed potatoes. Add parsley. Gently mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper to your own taste. Transfer the mixture to a desire casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the color is golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Cod is my favorite fish, so I picked that. But you can use any fish you like.
- I love to have a lot of fish in this dish, but you can use ½ pound only.