Bryan and I like to go to Thai restaurant. Our favorite is yellow curry, but pineapple fried rice also comes very close. When I came across something I really like in restaurant, I like to try to make it at home if I can. This pineapple fried rice is pretty good, and it is very easy to make. I used canned pineapple because it is a lot more convenient, but I am sure fresh pineapple would be better.
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice with Shrimps (Adapted from About.com)
3 – 4 servings
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- ½ pound medium shrimps
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
- ½ cup roasted unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 3 green onions (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 red or green chili (finely chopped, de-seeded for mild flavor)
- vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked, let it cool in room temperature for at least 2 hours. If you can, cook the rice the night before, and let the rice cool in the fridge overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok over medium-high heat, heat up 3 tablespoons oil. Add the shallots, chili, and garlic. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the shrimps and stir for 3 – 4 minutes until cook through and the color is pink. Take out the shrimps and set aside.
- Push the shallots, chili and garlic aside to cook the egg. Pour the beaten egg to wok and scramble it. Separate the eggs into small pieces with a spatula. Add the cashews and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the sauce into the wok. Add the cooked rice, and stir until the rice is evenly covered. Make sure to separate the rice that has stuck together.
- Put in the raisins, pineapple, and cooked shrimps. Stir to mix and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Taste to try. If needed, add extra fish sauce for seasoning. Add the chopped green onions at the last minute. Mix well. Serve immediately.
- If you don’t have fish sauce, you can substitute it with soy sauce.
- If you are not a fan of shrimp, you can use chicken.